Good Bye 2017, I Barely Knew Ya!
Ok, I'll admit it, you were right. To all of those folks who told me (when I was younger) that time speeds up as you age - you were right! Where the hell did 2017 go??? And 2016 for that matter...
I think this impression that time has sped up is only exacerbated by the digital age - social media, 24/7 news cycles and the like. What those sage elders would have said if they were around today is that time seems to fly by naturally - but goes to warp speed in this connected world - as you age.
I hit the ripe old age of 48 on December 16. If we were living in 1900, I would already be past my life expectancy! So I guess the rest is just bonus time, and I certainly don't want that bonus time to fly by quietly! Do not go gentle into that good night - written by poet, Dylan Thomas. Thomas, of course, died at 39.
So what happened in 2017? Here are some month by month highlights (Most of the links are to pictures)
- January: Preparation for the big business transition.
- January: Twice weekly workouts continue with my favorite torturer (I mean trainer) Nat Holmes.
- February: Krull & Company became Earth Equity Advisors - our new Registered Investment Advisory.
- February: I traveled to Buffalo (yes it snowed) to visit with my Aunt Doris who was in failing health.
- March: Melissa and I spent the month in beautiful Ojochal, Costa Rica.
- April: Reacclimate to Asheville after a month away.
- April: My buddy Richie Clinger visited for a great long weekend.
- May: Melissa gave a great talk at Asheville Science Tavern on CRISPR CAS-9.
- June: Melissa and I traveled to Colorado for my cousin's wedding and to hike in Rocky Mountain National Park.
- July: Melissa and I enjoyed our 21-day vegan cleanse.
- July: Continued my bi-weekly Mastermind call with Robert, Andy and Scott. We've been talking every two weeks for about six years now!
- July: We started redecorating the house, including adding a new window.
- August: I published my blog on Greenwashing and Responsible Investment Management.
- August: Enjoyed coffee with my friend Mark Collins, a fellow Buffalonian living in Asheville
- August: My city-league volleyball team won the summer league championship!
- August: Melissa and I traveled to Georgetown, South Carolina to view the eclipse. The weather didn't cooperate, so we ended up at Lake Hartwell...where it was cloudy too.
- September: I leased my new Chevy Bolt electric car.
- September: I ran a 5k in Charlotte with my family in support of the Isabelle Santos Foundation. ISF is supporting neuroblastoma research which our cousin Sam Rosebrock is fighting.
- October: Earth Equity Advisors' fourth annual Speaker Series featuring a conversation with Katharine Wilkinson, lead author of Drawdown and John Sutter of CNN
- October: I visited Washington, DC for the Trust Company of America annual conference.
- October: Melissa and I celebrated our 13th anniversary by enjoying lunch at the Pisgah Inn, treating ourselves to a spa day at Spa Sensibilities and a champagne toast with friends at A Capella
- October: My favorite nephew, BJ visited Asheville with his daughter, my grand-niece, Ella. We played tour guides, including visiting Gingers Revenge!
- October: Earth Equity Advisors hits our 2017 goal to reach $65 million in assets under management.
- November: I visited all of the EEA markets, Savannah, Atlanta and Roanoke. I also had lunch with one of my best friends, David Herdlinger.
- November: Earth Equity Advisors accepted into Trust Company of America's MMX program - our socially and environmentally responsible portfolios are now available for all advisors who use TCA as a custodian.
- December: After an exhaustive search, Earth Equity Advisors hired Kelsey Rosen as our new Marketing & Client Service Coordinator.
- December: Celebrated my birthday with friends, Randy & Franzi Talley and cousins, Tim & Nancy Rosebrock at my favorite restaurant, The Market Place with Chef William Dissen
- December: Melissa and I spent Christmas on St Simons Island, Georgia with our good friends, Ray Miller & Diane Knight.
- December: Earth Equity Advisors finishes off the year with $70 million in client assets A Great year!!!
Wow, no wonder 2017 flew by!!!
What will 2018 bring? Well, we never know, but I do believe that we can manifest what we want in our life - Living intentionally matters! I look forward to more love, joy, good health and opportunities. Time with family and friends (and our kitties). Travel. Continued business success. Peace. Laughing. Did I say travel?
I am grateful for all of the wonderful people in my life - Melissa, Buster & Savannah (the kitties - and yes they are people), friends (you know who you are), family, employees, clients and business associates, and those of you who I have not met yet. Thank you all for everything that you bring into my life.